We’re Hiring: Communications Manager
Category: News and Updates
Date: January 28, 2022
Job Title: Communications Manager
Reports To: Owner
WHO WE ARE: Landworks Studio is a creative and inspired team of landscape architects, planners, and graphic designers strive to create memorable places that not only enhance the public realm but empower communities. When we think of some of our best memories, outdoor environments play a key role. From wooded trails to steppingstones in a slow-moving stream to vibrant playgrounds and active ballfields, these are the places that shape who we are and activate, connect, and restore us.
For over 20 years, our collaborative planning and design process has provided our clients with the tools they need to engage their communities, through public space, strategic planning, and inclusive public engagement. With every line we draw, we aim to enhance the everyday, creating places where people enjoy spending time. Our award-winning leaders at Landworks Studio are involved every step of the way to ensure your success.
As a landscape architecture and planning firm, we see each project as an opportunity to bridge the goals of our clients to the needs of those who live in the community. We understand that every project and client is unique, but fundamentally our goals to elevate the users’ experience and provide opportunities for lasting memories are always present.
POSITION SUMMARY: The person in this position is instrumental in assisting the Company in the development of graphic and written content to deliver project-based content to clients and to create materials for public engagement activities and events. Additionally, this person will work to develop and manage marketing materials, social media posts, conference and sponsorship materials to reinforce and promote the company’s mission to create timeless and inspiring places.
Coordinates with Owner to create and develop positive office cultural activities to ensure engaged and satisfied employees. Assists in operational activities of a people focused and growing landscape architecture company in support of the policies, goals and objectives established by the Owner. Company growth in sales and staff is a key objective.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None.
VALUES: This person assumes operational duties of the Company to offer consistent communication to both employees and clients and billable duties to assist Project Managers with client and project deliverables. This person brings strong writing and graphic skills, along with marketing principles and key communication strategies to assist with Company promotion and production of client deliverables to add capacity and productivity in support of business growth. This person must thrive in a cooperative team environment and contribute to the success and growth of the business.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
For the Business
- Supports Project Managers in the development, production, coordination and delivery of content for planning documents and project-based work products.
- Supports the Owner in developing marketing and promotional materials for consistent client engagement, trade shows and conferences, social media outlets, newsletters and industry awards.
- Assists Project Managers in monitoring, coordinating and responding to Request for Proposals (RFP’s) and Qualifications (RFQ’s), including reading and analyzing documents, coordination of subconsultant materials and meeting requirements with concise documentation
- Supports the Owner in coordinating at least annually with select charitable organizations to provide assistance to the organization and positive cultural experiences for employees.
- Helps drive the Company toward its sales goals and constantly looks for opportunities to increase sales and customer base.
- Stays current with industry trends in design, production, and best business practices.
- Believes in the Company mission and Owner’s vision for the Company and reports progress toward reaching established goals on a quarterly basis.
For the Clients
- Develops and/or maintains professional relationships with existing clients including government officials, civic organizations, and potential clients.
- Continually looks for ways to improve Company relationships with existing customers.
- Plans and coordinates all Client activities and events.
- Ensures client expectations are met.
For the Employees
- Facilitates with staff the desired cultural activities and marketing direction annually.
- Plans and coordinates all Company activities and events.
- Develops content to promote communication and adequate information flow within the Company.
- Assists staff with projects as outlined by the Project Managers in the development of content, graphics and the use of planning and engagement tools.
For the Projects
- Ensures relevant and quality content are created or developed to provide necessary and required content for assigned projects.
PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT: Keeps up to date on the latest planning and landscape architecture industry trends and practices.
MEASURE OF PERFORMANCE: The following are required for the employee to be successful in this position:
Maintains a high degree of cooperation, communication, and coordination with employees within the organization.
- Marketing content is developed on a consistent basis and is in line with Company’s established Vision and Mission.
- Project content meets Project Manager’s goals.
- Projects meet company quality and profit goals.
- Is a respected and positive role model for the employees and an ambassador for the company.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or higher in Marketing, Graphic Design, Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Planning or related design consulting business is desirable. A complimentary degree might be considered in combination with relevant work experience.
EXPERIENCE: 1 to 5 years of experience with a design consulting firm is preferred. Other relevant experience will be considered.
KNOWLEDGE: Must be thoroughly familiar and proficient in graphic software programs used to develop content for planning and marketing materials.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Must be able to speak, hear, write and read English and apply this skill to interacting with clients and employees. The ability to communicate in Spanish or Sign Language is a plus.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Must have the ability to understand and calculate basic math principles.
TECHNICAL SKILLS: Must be proficient in using the Adobe Suite for graphic layout of content. SketchUp, PhotoShop, Lumion or other design software is a plus. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Must have the technical aptitude to learn Base Builders (Project Management software). Professional writing skills and the ability to proofread is required.
REASONING ABILITY: Must have good organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks of varying size, to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form, and the ability to deal with problems involving several variables.
PERSONALITY TRAITS: Must be a self-starter with a positive outlook, a good listener and communicator, goal oriented, attentive to detail, able to work independently, possess strong interpersonal skills and value other people. Must be able to assume responsibility and delegate tasks as required. Must be able to prioritize and organize multiple tasks and work collaboratively with Owner and employees to achieve goals. Leadership skills are a plus.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Must possess a valid driver’s license.
This work may be performed in a hybrid format with a majority of the work completed at the office. Some work may be completed at the clients’ properties and some work can be completed from home, if conditions at home are conducive for productive work.
Medical, Dental and Vision Participation
Simple IRA plan
Paid holidays and personal time off
If interested, please send your cover letter, resume and portfolio, if applicable to:
Carisa L. McMullen, PrincipalBack to News