We’re Hiring! (Again)!
Category: News and Updates
Date: January 14, 2022
Job Title: Planning + Urban Design Intern
Reports To: Urban Planner
Prepared Date: 01-14-22
Location: Downtown Olathe, KS
Compensation: $15 an hour
Duration: 240 hours (possibility for more)
POSITION SUMMARY: A part-time intern who is passionate about urban design, the environment, and helping cities plan for the future.
LEARNING GOALS: Gaining experience working in a private design firm; making connections in the planning and landscape architecture field in KC and beyond; experience working in a small firm; working on a variety of project types, utilizing a variety of different skills; applying learned skills to real-world projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following: Other duties may be assigned.
- Works on a full range of assignments in supporting the delivery of planning and urban design projects
- Conducts demographic analysis, community profile research, and benchmarking
- Displays data in maps using a variety of different techniques in ArcGIS Pro
- Attends project meetings, as assigned, to understand the clients’ goals for the project and to apply planning and design principles to meet those goals
- Assists with project public engagement (attending meetings, creating presentation and meeting materials, writing social media announcements, meeting minutes, etc.)
- Assists project team with strategic planning sessions and design charrettes
- Provides planning and design recommendations based on the community’s needs
- Assists with building and administering online surveys
- Conducts existing condition reports and SWOT analyses
- Works proficiently in the Adobe Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Builds 3D models in SketchUp and Lumion, as needed
- Assists Project Managers with urban design projects, as needed
- Actively promotes a collaborative and innovative culture
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Must be currently be enrolled at a University for Urban Planning and Design, Landscape Architecture, or Urban Design related field
- At least 2 years of Planning or Urban Design related education
- Must be proficient in English
- Two or more languages is a plus
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- ArcGIS Pro, ArcMap, ArcGIS Online
- Adobe Creative Suite
- AutoCad (preferred not required)
- SketchUp and Lumion (preferred not required)
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
WHO WE ARE:
Located in growing downtown Olathe, Landworks Studio is a woman-owned, landscape architecture + planning firm founded over 20 years ago. Our office currently has 5 full-time staff members who work in a very collaborative, studio environment. We work on projects ranging from city-wide master plans to parks to public safety campuses to splash pads. Over the years, we’ve designed a variety of places across the metro and beyond. Locally, you may have seen our work at Meadowbrook Park, KC Pet Project or the MLK Playground. While every endeavor is unique, our fundamental goals to elevate the users’ experience and provide opportunities for lasting memories, are always present.
If interested, send your resume, cover letter, and portfolio to Carisa at [email protected]Back to News